The Bachelor of Science in Health Science is designed as a fundamental health-related degree that will enable students to pursue a variety of careers related to our population's health status. Graduates will have the basic skills and knowledge needed to become an asset to the health care community. Students are encouraged to become nationally recognized certified health education specialists (CHES) through the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing (www.nchec.org). They are also encouraged to advance their education at one of the Schools of Public Health in our nation (www.asph.org). There are a variety of opportunities for students majoring in Health Science. Possible career paths include:
- Medicine (Physician or Physician's Assistant
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Environmental health
- Behavioral sciences-health education
- Health service administration
- Maternal and child health
- International-global health
- Community outreach
Students must understand that some allied health professions require additional certification or other designated criteria along with their educational degree in health science.Back to Top
The B.S.Ed. in Health and Physical Education prepares students to obtain preschool through high school teacher certification in both health and physical education. The program of study provides a strong base in the sciences, study of the various content fields that comprise health education and physical education, and numerous field experiences in which academic content is applied to teaching. Also offered are a Master of Arts in Teaching in Health and Physical Education (MAT) and a M.Ed. in Health and Physical Education (MEd).Back to Top
The BS degree program in Exercise Science is designed provide students with an in-depth study of how and why the body responds to physical activity and exercise from several perspectives. The program is also designed to accommodate a variety of student interests and professional goals by offering a thorough and rigid core of theoretical and practical Exercise Science courses balanced with flexibility .
Students majoring in Exercise Science are prepared for a variety of careers in the health and fitness industry or further graduate work in areas such as exercise physiology, health promotion, nutrition, or cardiac rehabilitation. In addition, the Exercise Science program provides students an excellent pathway for entrance into graduate medical programs including physical therapy, occupational therapy, physician assistant, chiropractic medicine, and others.
Students transferring to the Exercise Science program must have an overall grade point average of 2.5 out of a 4.0 scale.Back to Top
Wellness is characterized by the development of knowledge, skills, and dispositions that encourage and enable students to adopt health-enhancing behaviors that will improve their health and fitness status and increase the quality of their lives, demonstrated by the
- Ability to understand principles related to the development and maintenance of health-related fitness;
- Ability to select practices and activities that contribute positively to fitness and a healthy lifestyle;
- Ability to plan, implement, monitor, and evaluate a personal fitness program
- Students with at least 12 consecutive months of active military service.
- Students 40 years of age or older. (Older students may take related courses, but must have medical clearance to participate in courses requiring moderate-intensity exercise).
- Students with severe physical disabilities. (Medical verification should be obtained through the CSU Office of Center for Accommodation and Access).
Wellness Courses Offered
- Click below for a course listing